Tuesday, January 10, 2017

First Pair of Hand Knit Socks!!

Hey everyone, hope you all had a lovely holiday season and New Year. Have you made any resolutions? I haven't made any concrete craft plans for this year but I'm really hoping to get Elegance of the Orient finished. I would also like to make some progress on HAED QS Clara. You can find my last posts on these pieces here and here. Another project that needs some attention is my Sirdar Blur cardigan, it only needs to be blocked, stitched together and the decorative piece around the front knit, last post on this is here. 

Now enough about all the projects I haven't finished, today's post is about one I did complete. For a long time now I have been seeing hand knit socks online, and they always look amazing. However the pictures of them in progress made it look so complicated, just so many needles at once! Well I decided to get myself some yarn and a set of double pointed needles (DPNs), look up a tutorial and give it a go. Why not, right?

Hand Knit Socks Knitting
Hand Knit Socks, my very first pair!

Well to my surprise it actually turned out to be some what easier than I thought it would be. I had to use a few different tutorials but the main one was a YouTube video you can find here.
The only things I found difficult to follow on this tutorial were how to do the long tail cast on, joining the round together, and picking up stitches for the gusset. I ended up searching for other videos to clarify these steps.

Hand Knit Socks Knitting
Don't be afraid to try something new, I did and now I have hand made socks!!

I used sport weight, acrylic/cotton blend yarn, on 3mm DPNs for these socks, knitting them top down. They are so warm and cozy, as well as being lots of fun to knit. It felt really great to learn something new and get a finished product out of it. I have now saved a number of other patterns I want to do and can't wait to try out different yarns.

This project was a great reminder to me to try new things and not be afraid to make mistakes. I had to rip back the start of these about 9 times before I managed to get it right. However once I got into a rhythm they were straight forward enough, even the heel turning wasn't that difficult. I did make a mistake in picking up the stitches on the gusset and there is a slight hole there, but it's very small and not a huge issue.

Have you tried any new things recently? I would love to hear about them in the comments below!!

Well that's all for today!

31 comments:

  1. Congratulations! That is huge to me as socks always seem like one of those "only if you're brave" projects. I haven't been trying anything new, but starting some new things. :) Will post about it soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment. I always thought that about socks as well but I have wanted to try them for ages so I just decided to dive in. Glad I did!

      Delete
  2. Congrats on your first pair of knitted socks. They are gorgeous. You did a fantastic job. Something I have always wanted to try but ain't gonna happen. My hands don't like to knit.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment. They were surprisingly fun, after I finally got past the ripping them back repeatedly.

      Delete
  3. Love your new socks! They look great. My daughter kits but she had a bit of trouble with socks and she is easily frustrated so she gave up on them for now...I keep hoping she will go back to them one day SOON!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment. Shame your daughter put them aside but I can understand that. Hopefully she will pick them up again, she will definitely get the hang of it.

      Delete
  4. Gorgeous socks - well done on trying something new! I enjoyed seeing Elegance and Clara again via the links, and am looking forward to seeing an update this year on them. They're both beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment. It did feel great to learn something new, now to just keep it up with other projects I have been wanting to try out.

      Delete
  5. Those are so pretty!! I definitely need to learn how to knit one of these years :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment. Oh you definitely should give it a go, it's easy enough to get the hang of and it's so amazing to wear nice snuggly jumpers & socks.

      Delete
  6. Congrats on a wonderful finish! I certainly am not brave enough to try socks....I'd be scared that they wouldn't look like a pair! Yours look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment. I think you would do a great job on socks. To try to make sure they came out roughly the same I recorded all the rows I knit on the first one and did the same number for the second.

      Delete
  7. Those socks looked great. But silly as it sounds, that is on my bucket list - This year I want to knit more. Thanks for the link to the tutorial there are so many great How To Knit Videos out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment. I'm not surprised it's on your list, there are so many great knitted items out there. It can be hard to resist.

      Delete
  8. They look great! Really warm and snuggly! Well done on trying something new!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment. It's great to see you. I think I now have a sock making addiction though.

      Delete
  9. The socks look great. I started knitting just so I could knit socks - don't really care about doing anything else (of course, I haven't done anything but I've collected lots of pretty yarn)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment. Collecting pretty yarn is half the fun :D

      Delete
  10. COngratulations on knitting your first socks, they look amazing =) The color you chose is so pretty. It reminds me, that I have a started pair of socks somewhere (if only I could remember where I put it...9 :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment. I hope you manage to locate your knitted socks, and post a picture. Would love to see them :)

      Delete
  11. Your socks are lovely! I'm impressed that you basically taught yourself how to do it from on-line tutorials. Knitting socks is a skill I've yet to master.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment. There was a fair bit of ripping back & wanting to throw them in the bin before I got them right. The video I used to knit them was pretty good too.

      Delete
  12. I've yet to try socks. I've only attempted scarves, a dress and a top. They look tricky but I'm inspired by you now. Congrats on your first pair of socks. They look great.
    xo Alicia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment. They look much more difficult than they are I think. Seeing people using 4 or 5 needle at once is fairly daunting but you can get the hang of it pretty quickly. There is also always the option of using circular needles instead of DPNs

      Delete
  13. Great job they look beautiful! I love the color of the yarn you chose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment. I'm super happy with the colour and the patterning it created in the socks, have some similar yarn in a pink colour so looking forward to using that.

      Delete
  14. That is amazing! They look so nice. I love the color you chose! Congrats on trying something new and succeeding :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your comment. It was so fun to try these out and felt wonderful to finish them. Have pinned so many more socked charts now though.

      Delete
  15. They're very pretty. I haven't tried any new craft, but this year I've started stitching on 18ct aida (which is a big thing for me, I've only stitched on 14ct for the longest time, and just last year I had stitched more than a couple of 16ct), still wary of other fabrics...Baby steps...

    ReplyDelete

Would love to read any comments you would like to leave. Thanks for brightening my day :)