Thursday, May 9, 2013

Something Different

So I haven't been able to do much stitching lately, so I decided to do a bit of knitting instead. It has been a while since I picked up my needles but now that I have I find that I am enjoying it immensely. I am using a Sirdar yarn called Firefly which is a ladder yarn. This means that there are two treads running parallel with small rectangles of shimmery thread at regular intervals. I am currently knitting a cardigan, which would really be a special occasion type of thing, not for every day wear.

This is described as an Easy Knit and while the pattern is very straight forward the yarn itself can be sort of tricky. I can't watch TV while knitting with it as I can't take my eyes off it for a second. I find it slips off the needles very easily and it is really simple to drop stitches which are impossible to see to fix. Also I did find that I often ended up knitting in between the two threads by accident when I wasn't concentrating. So now I listen to an audio book only as that way I don't have to look away from the needles.

So here is my progress so far. The picture doesn't really to the yarn justice, it is very pretty in reality.

The main body of the cardigan, except the sleeves is knit all in one piece. This looks small on the needle but that is because it is scrunched up. It is knit on 7mm needles and is really quite stretchy.

Have a great day :)

8 comments:

  1. Great progress and very pretty yarn.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. lovely looking progress so far, I'm about to start knitting a scarf in this yarn so thanks for the heads up about it being tricky to work with. Looking forward to seeing your finished cardigan :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty. I use the ladder yarn for lots of other crafts but haven't used it for straight knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pretty yarn! I'll look forward to seeing this once it is finished :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous yarn! I really should get back to knitting my blanket.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such beautiful yarn. Is it easy to knit with?

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are so talented! It really looks beautiful so far.

    ReplyDelete

Would love to read any comments you would like to leave. Thanks for brightening my day :)