Monday, August 31, 2015

Blossoming Tree - Has finally grown

Over the weekend something wonderful happened, I was sitting at home trying to think about what I might do for the day, watch TV, read a book, play a game? Then an oh so wonderful feeling came over me, the urge to cross stitch. I was so happy to see my desire to stitch those little crosses that I let it guide me in the choice of project. Thanksfully it didn't lead to a new start but instead suggested a WIP which had received no attention in a long while; Blossoming Tree by Sheila Hudson.

 Blossoming tree, cross stitch, work in progress, WIP, Sheila Hudson, blossom tree
Blossoming Tree - Sheila Hudson from The Ultimate Forest Friends Cross Stitch Collection
Now I would be misleading you all if I were to say that I managed all the additional stitching this weekend. I had put a small number of stitches into this piece between now and my last post.
Check out my last post on this to see the difference: ISHW Late Report.

I decided to start this project because I thought it would be a nice change from my large cross stitch pieces. While it is a small-medium sized piece, it never gave me the break I had been looking for, as the stitches are very scattered. The tree trunk and grass is the closest to block stitching in this chart.

 Blossoming tree, cross stitch, work in progress, WIP, Sheila Hudson, blossom tree
Blossoming Tree - Sheila Hudson from The Ultimate Forest Friends Cross Stitch Collection
The stitches that make up the blossom effect wander all over the chart making it more time consuming and needing large amounts of concentration. This technique gives the tree a beautiful effect which I absolutely love but it just didn't satisfy my need for something easy and relaxing, which would deliver a relatively swift finish, between the larger projects. This resulted in it being put to the side for the best part of a year.

So when it popped into my mind as the project I wanted to work on this weekend I was delighted to make some progress on it. Even though it's a concentration heavy cross stitch, I have found myself really enjoying working on it and creating that wonderful soft blossom effect.

I am stitching Blossoming Tree on 28ct Brittney Evenweave in Snowy Skies from Sparklies Hand Dyed Fabric. I decided to use this fabric for this project as it was lighter than I had expected and I thought it would work well as the background for this project. I'm using DMC thread, though the completed stitch in the bookzine is Anchor, 2 over 2.

Let me know how you would tackle such a project, would you have used a different fabric or the Anchor threads? Use the comment section below to give your thoughts.

Update: The title of this chart is actually Blossoming Spring not Blossoming Tree as I have accidentally referred to it in this post.

12 comments:

  1. How very pretty. I like your choices. My first choice is always DMC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fabric choice is spot on. I love how pure white it is and with the pinks against it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great. Is it easier to stitch with stitches already in place? I usually find that's the case for me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful project! You have made a ton of progress since your last post. I think the background fabric looks lovely with the threads you are using. Just lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful progress! I'm so glad your inclination led you to take this one up again. I would likely stitch it as you are, when I'm up for it I'll stitch on it, but I'll stick to easier stuff if it's been a long day, etc. Your fabric choice sounds lovely. I might be tempted to pick a sky blue or blue/white but having something neutral like yours will really show off your stitching.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice progress on such a pretty design.

    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very lovely design, so is your fabric choice. I'm partial to DMC:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like your fabric choice too. I would always go for DMC as I have almost a full set. Lovely work and nice to see your stitchy bug came back!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful stitching! I think it looks lovely so far :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'd just sail in with whatever threads I have on hand (which is mostly DMC). If something doesn't look right I'll then venture out to enhance the stash. I think your fabric looks wonderful for it. If I had an infinite supply of options, I think it also would look nice on a pale blue/white handdye. It would feel spring-y!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm happy to hear that you feel like stitching again =) Blossoming tree is an amazing project =) Great work on it =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so happy that your stitching mojo has returned and that it wanted to work on a wip. What a bonus!!! I would use the fabric that you have and hand dyed silks from V.Clayton. I always try and sub with silks whenever I can, and due to the cost of them, my smaller projects or projects that need only a few colours get the hand dyed threads treatment.

    It looks beautiful, I love the effect of the blossoms too.
    xo Alicia

    ReplyDelete

Would love to read any comments you would like to leave. Thanks for brightening my day :)